The Justice Department is reportedly getting ready to file antitrust charges against Google this month, though not everyone's on board with that timeline.
The DOJ is preparing to bring an antitrust case against Google "as soon as this month" after Attorney General William Barr "overruled career lawyers who said they needed more time to build a strong case," The New York Times reported on Thursday.
An inquiry into Alphabet, Google's parent company, was opened by the Justice Department in June 2019, and the probe has reportedly examined the company's business practices related to both search and advertising. The Times cites three sources as saying that during the investigation, the DOJ has "amassed powerful evidence of anticompetitive practices."
However, the Times also reports that after officials from the DOJ told lawyers working on the inquiry to wrap up by the end of September, "most" of them opposed this deadline, feeling it was "arbitrary," and "some said they would not sign the complaint." In a memo over the summer, some of the lawyers reportedly argued they could "bring a strong case," but they said doing so would require more time, and they worry the deadline may actually "weaken their case and ultimately strengthen Google's hand," the Times writes.
Barr has reportedly argued the probe has not moved quickly enough and defended the September deadline. At the same time, the Times reports that some antitrust division staff members complain that Barr is "forcing them to come up with 'half-baked' cases so he could unveil a complaint by Sept. 30." Read more at The New York Times. Brendan Morrow
- 6 خانه برای کسانی که عشق ورزش
- امارات متحده عربی Amal راکت فضاپیما به سوی مریخ در جهان عرب 1st
- همه گروگان ها آزاد مظنون بازداشت شده در اوکراین, اتوبوس, بن بست
- ایالات متحده میزان سفارشات بسته چینی کنسولگری در هوستون عصبی پکن
- برنی ساندرز می گوید: کار خود را در حال حاضر به 'تجمع یاران من' جو بایدن
- New campaign launched to help refugee children on 5th anniversary of Alan Kurdi's death
- دیوان عالی کشور تکذیب نوادا کلیسا درخواست برای اعتصاب کردن دولت COVID-19 محدودیت در خدمات عبادت
- مغلوب ساختن پیشی جستن متحد راجر سنگ به محکوم در محکومیت شاهد دستکاری
- پاکستان افسر پلیس اختصاص داده شده به همراهی تیم واکسیناسیون فلج اطفال کشته در بمب گذاری