Hurricane Isaias strengthened slightly as it lashed the Bahamas on Saturday, bearing down on Florida and was expected to approach the southeast of the state later in the day before travelling up the eastern U.S. seaboard.
Isaias was carrying top sustained winds of 140 km/h and was located about 125 kilometres south-southeast of the Bahamas capital Nassau at 5 a.m. ET, heading northwest, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.
Its centre was approaching Andros Island in the Bahamas and was due to pass over or near islands in the central and northwest Bahamas on Saturday, bringing a danger of damaging storm surges of up to 1.52 metres over normal tide levels, the NHC said.
The storm, a Category 1 on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale, prompted authorities in parts of Florida to close COVID-19 testing sites and people to stock up on essentials.
Isaias was expected to deliver heavy rains to the state's Atlantic coast beginning late Friday before hitting the eastern Carolinas by early next week, the NHC said.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis established a state of emergency for a dozen counties on the Atlantic coast, which makes it easier to mobilize resources. North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper followed suit.
2 deaths in Dominican Republic
The storm has caused at least two deaths in the Dominican Republic and torn down trees, flooded streets and knocked out power for thousands of homes and businesses in Puerto Rico, according to media reports.
WATCH | Puerto Rico hit by Isaias:
Public beaches, parks, marinas and golf courses were closed in Miami-Dade County on Friday.
Miami-Dade and Broward counties also closed drive-through and walk-up testing sites for COVID-19, as the state at the epicentre of the country's outbreak reported a record increase in coronavirus deaths for a fourth day in a row.
DeSantis said testing sites would remain open on Florida's west coast, and testing at hospitals and community centres may also continue.
Elsewhere in the Atlantic basin, NHC is issuing advisories on TD 10 northeast of the Cabo Verde Islands and monitoring a tropical wave which could become a tropical depression in a few days north of the Leeward Islands. <a href="https://t.co/tW4KeGdBFb">https://t.co/tW4KeGdBFb</a> <a href="https://t.co/syWDLhHJjC">pic.twitter.com/syWDLhHJjC</a>—@NHC_Atlantic
- Ladysmith Black Mambazo رهبر یوسف Shabalala مرده در 78
- آموزش سئو وردپرس
- مواد شیمیایی مرک چیست ؟
- رئیس جمهور تهمت می توانید انتظار یک استقبال گرم در سفر هند. ایالات متحده دیگر رهبران دیدم Chillier روابط
- ترجمه مقاله بازاریابی دیجیتال: آنچه بازاریابان محتوا باید در سال 2020 بدانند
- فیلیپین گزارش 1st coronavirus مرگ در خارج از چین
- زنان بودند ساخت تاریخی گام در نیروی کار است. سپس همه گیر ضربه
- 10 چیزهایی که شما نیاز به دانستن امروز: اوت 6 2020
- 'مردان ' حقوق' وکیل در حال بررسی حمله به ایالات متحده قاضی فدرال خانواده
- عقب برخی از Coronavirus مستند محدودیت های دانمارک باز می شود سالن و آرایشگاه. کوتاه کردن مو سایت رزرو سقوط کرد با توجه به تقاضای