Residents of a remote Alaska village scrambled just before midnight Friday to help save the life of a child, jumping into their vehicles to light up a pitch-black runway as a medical transport plane circled overhead.
People were running around in pyjamas to help out, said Ida Nelson, who lives near the runway in the southwest Alaska village of Igiugig.
She had just gotten out of a steam bath when she heard the sound of the plane and noticed that the runway lights weren't on. She took her all-terrain vehicle to the runway a few hundred yards from her home as a neighbour made 32 phone calls requesting help.
"That's pretty much almost every household in this village. Pretty much every cellphone here," Nelson said.
The medevac pilot circled as Nelson and others on the ground co-ordinated via phone and radio, staggering cars, trucks and ATVs down the length of the runway and using their headlights to show the pilot where to land Friday night, Alaska's Energy Desk reported.
What appears to be a blurry, dark photo is actually a view of what an amazing community can do with a lot of determination.- LifeMed Alaska
LifeMed Alaska had sent a King Air flight from Kodiak to the state-owned airport at the mouth of the Kvichak River on Iliamna Lake. The child was safely evacuated to Anchorage.
"Normally, if you push the button like 10 or 15 times the lights will just light up," Nelson said. "But they didn't and so the medevac plane flew over the village."
'An amazing community'
LifeMed Alaska posted a photo on social media showing a straight line of lights in the distance.
"What appears to be a blurry, dark photo is actually a view of what an amazing community can do with a lot of determination," the company wrote.
Department of Transportation spokesperson Sam Dapcevich said on Sunday that crews have been out to the airport multiple times this year repairing lights that had been run over during winter maintenance, and they were out there as recently as last week to fix a wiring problem.
"They will be returning soon to repair the damaged lights and make sure the system is operational," he said in a text message.
"We're glad the community was able to safely guide the medevac flight in."
- بهترین بازی های ویدئویی در سال 2020 (تا کنون)
- Russia to let Kremlin critic Navalny fly to Berlin for treatment following suspected poisoning
- آیا تهمت می دانم که او را رئیس جمهور ؟
- اندرسون کوپر اعلام تولد خود و 1 فرزند پسر وایات
- وجود خواهد داشت بدون عدالت تا شورش متوقف
- کل 57-عضو بوفالو پلیس تیم استعفا داد برای حمایت از افسران تحت فشار قرار دادند که بیش از 75 سال
- خالق شناخت آزمون تهمت بالند از acing می گوید آن را "تصور می شود آسان' برای unimpaired مردم
- North Korea Is Expanding Its Nuclear Arsenal and Ballistic Missile Capability Despite Sanctions, U.N. Report Says
- تعداد coronavirus موارد در چین می گذرد 75,000
- روزانه شایعات: دکتر Fauci مطرح شده برای InStyle عکس پوشش سابق پیشخدمت است dishing که در آن وبلاگ درمان سرور هست و بیشتر